There’s NOTHING like a bank holiday weekend to boost the mood…. and in May we get two of them (both of which are hot on the heels of the long Easter weekend). Image (right): Rails Gabrielle Jumpsuit, £175 – www.blackwhitedenim.com.
And if you’re lucky enough to be going on a bank holiday inspired city break, for example, it’s also a great opportunity to test your ‘capsule wardrobe’ packing skills ready for the big summer getaway.
Get it right and you’ll have key pieces for every occasion.
The key to the mini-break wardrobe is multi-functional separates, day-to-night items and use accessories to change your look/outfit rather than clothes. From practical footwear through to cute summer dresses, you want to aim for somewhere between practical and stylish.
Top tips include:
- Matching separates create a more formal evening look and they can be worn separately with plain tops for daytime sightseeing.
- Invest in a maxi dress, shirt-dress, playsuit or boiler suit. These suitcase essentials require very little styling and can look good in seconds.
- Layering is key to staying warm and dry; it’s also a great way to add interest, and get more than one look out of a single item, for example skinny jeans worn under a skirt/dress.
- Wear colours that won’t show up the dirt and choose fabrics that will wash easily.
- A multi-purpose scarf. There are lots of creative ways you can weara scarf: around your neck or shoulders when it’s chilly or around your waist as a sarong on the beach.
- Flesh coloured underwear will go with everything and avoids the need to duplicate with outfit appropriate options. To add to their versatility, the straps on some bras can be converted to a halter neck.
- Choose some figure-flattering swimwear; the right swimsuit will take pounds off, show off your best bits and hide any you don’t love, and can even double as a top!
Images (from top left): Fabienne Chapot Mia Dress in Feeling Peachy Print, £269 – www.cocaranti.com. Swimsuit, £29.50. Trousers, £39.50 – both M&S. Dress, £35. Skinny Jeans, £35 – both M&S. Rails Angela Striped Jumpsuit In Navy Stripe, £190 – all www.blackwhitedenim.com. POM Amsterdam Shawl in Safari Lime, £59 – www.cocaranti.com. Marie Jo ‘Avero’, strapless bra £74.90, briefs from £30.95 – www.seesawlingerie.co.uk.