February is often cited as one of the most depressing months of the year with grey skies, cold temperatures and rain, rain, rain (or worse… sleet, sleet, sleet). However there are lots of reasons why February is the best month ever!
February likes to keep things short (with just 28-days mostly), the evenings start to get noticeably lighter, that fabulous winter coat you got for Christmas/ bought in the sales comes into its own now it’s (finally) properly cold, you can ditch the January diet and celebrate with Pancake Day (Pancake Day!!), and it’s the month of love (Valentine’s Day), glamour (The Oscars) and new beginnings (Chinese New Year).
It’s also the month that new season and latest innovations in dress design are showcased by renowned fashion weeks, New York, London, Milan and Paris. Need I go on…?
The Fashion Shows let the industry know what’s “in” and what’s “out” for the coming seasons and you can be sure that the high street will be hot on their heels with their main Spring Summer 2016 collections scheduled to hit the shop floor towards the end of this month.
We’ve picked a few of our favourite trends to give you a sneak peek into the must-have fashion for Spring 2016.
- Lingerie: Brands want you to wear your lingerie over your clothes next season; from slinky slips to sheer lace inserts, the pieces normally assigned to the bedroom are having their day in the sun…literally.
- 70s mood: designers continue their fascination with this retro era, look out for the decades much loved fabric, suede, and floaty fringing. Groovy baby! Main image (top right): Claret suede tassel jacket £249, Zebra off-the-shoulder dress £75 – Biba at House of Fraser.
- Victorian: This season sees a modern spin on high-neck blouses, ruffles, puffy sleeves and vintage-like florals.
- Latin vibes: Colours are vibrant, slits are thigh-high, the hair is sleek and shoulders are bare!
- Perfectly plaid: Replacing some of the gingham love from last spring summer, overblown plaid is the power print for SS16, both in black and white, and in more muted tones of red, green and blue.
- The lighter side of denim: Denim is continually on trend and this season it’s about lightweight fabrics and relaxed silhouettes.
- White: Every wardrobe should have one and with endless options for how to wear it, the classic white shirt is bang on trend this season and the perfect spring summer cover-up.
- Flat mules: Thank the fashion gods, comfortable shoes are here to stay!