Old enough to remember the original (and in my opinion, best) Star Wars films, I, along with the rest of the universe, breathed a collective sigh of relief that the newest addition to the Star Wars franchise, The Force Awakens (released in December 2015) didn’t suck. It wasn’t a perfect movie but it did the job and, from shower curtain rings to lunch boxes, inspired a ridiculous collection of merchandise, and this from someone who lives to shop.
The fashion world is also eating up the sci-fi frills and the Spring Summer runways were adorned with metallic hues, sparkle and shine, for a futuristic edge.. right now.
- Metallic finishes can give a geometric pattern or simple knit some added class. Image (right): Mea Shimmer Necklace Knit, £75 – Phase Eight.
- Wear a key metallic piece with an all black ensemble to really let them shine.
- Keep it simple. Pair one gorgeous metallics piece with slightly lower key wardrobe essentials i.e. a metallic skirt with a cable-knit jumper and flats. Image (bottom): Brigitte Bardot Top, £39. Tilly Stripe Skirt – Monsoon
- A shimmery camisole goes perfectly with a pair of jeans and a blazer, and will also take you from day to night with ease. Image (right): Star by Julien Macdonald Sequin Top.
- Team a metallic t-shirt with a pair of slim fit jeans and trainers for a relaxed off-duty look.
- One of the easiest ways to incorporate this trend into your wardrobe is with shoes. Silver heels, like nudes, go with everything, and flashy finishes give ballerinas the edge.
Main image (top right): Dress, Biba at House of Fraser.