One of my most common enquiries from clients is how to achieve the holy grail of outfit creation, the smart-casual (or ‘smasual’) look. Presentable yet a comfortable way of dressing, what’s not to love!
Investing in some key and classic pieces is the secret to a good smart-casual wardrobe; these can then be mixed and matched with basics.
Look out for:
- Mid length dresses (tea dresses and shifts are a great example)
- Mid-rise, dark wash denim jeans
- A classic skirt, such as A-line or pencil
- A blouse (a good place to add pattern, colour or texture to your basics)
- Tailored jacket/blazer (this can be thrown over dresses, jeans, trousers)
- Cardigan in a fun, flattering colour (cashmere is a good investment)
- Dress shoe (a nice kitten heel is practical and dresses up jeans or a day dress)
- Pretty pump (just because….)
Image credit: Metallic weave blazer £115 Label Lab, White batwing blouse £45 Label Lab, Lime ‘Cristen’ skinny jeans £200 7 For All Mankind – all House of Fraser