Evie Waxman is director & founder of The Raw Bake Station. Evie found her passion for raw food and healthy living during her travels across Australia. Her peppy personality, combined with oodles of creativity, enabled her to develop a business, allowing her to explore the raw food world and share her ideas on healthy living. www.rawbakestation.co.uk
It’s December and, with the festive season looming (or here already for some!), we all know how hard it is to keep the inches off our waistline, with all the bubbles and sweet treats flying around, writes Evie Waxman.
A raw, gluten, dairy, refined sugar-free Festive Treat
With Christmas just around the corner, imagine each day is a constant battle between giving in to your cravings or staying ‘saintly’ to keep in shape for your little black dresses and sassy suits.
However, as shocking as this might sound, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without a little indulging.
So why not experiment and try out something new; something that tastes just as good, if not better, yet makes you feel alive and full of energy rather than sluggish and….well….purr with delight!.
Try out these raw, gluten, dairy, and refined sugar-free Orange Spiced Chocolate Truffles that even assist in a little fat burning. Heaven, right? You can thank me later.
Makes: Approximately 15 truffles
2 cups of pecans
1.5 cups of Medjool Dates
1.5 tbsp of Cacao
1 tsp of Orange essence/extract
1 tbsp of Baoboo powder
1/4 tsp of Turmeric powder
Optional topping ingredients:
90% dark chocolate
Raw cacao nibs
Baoboo powder: This amazing exotic superfood is packed full of vitamin C. In fact, the Baoboo fruit is known as one of the best sources of vitamin C. It is well known for its ability to enhance our fat burning capabilities during a workout. And not only does it help with weight-loss, it’s also amazing for our skin. Now that is what I’m talking about… Christmas miracle. Hello!
Turmeric powder: We all know Turmeric as a burnt orange powder that is swirled into curries for colour and depth. However, what most of us don’t know is that this fiery coloured curry enhancer is brilliant for weight loss and reducing your total body fat. Christmas curries anyone?
- In a mixing bowl, soak the pecans and the medjool dates in water for 2 hours, keeping covered and in the fridge.
- Once the time is up, drain the water and de-stone the dates.
- Be sure to remove all the stones before adding both the dates and pecans into a food processor. Mix for 3 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon or two of water if needs be to allow the mixture to combine thoroughly.
- Now for the real flavour! Add in the Cacao, Turmeric, Baoboo and Orange essence to the mix and blend away.
- Keep blending until the mixture is of a smooth sticky consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and get those hands messy. Roll small amounts of the truffle mix into balls about the size of a grape.
- Once all rolled, choose your ‘weapon’ to coat the truffles in. Whether it be melted dark chocolate, or covering in cacao nibs!! All choices work perfectly to make these the best Christmas treats alternative.* keep chilled for at least four hours.
Magic. Guilt-free snacks for our Christmas pleasures. Just call me Santa’s little helper!
All this talk on food has sent alarm bells off in my brain and so, if you’re also feeling that festive spirit wash over you, my suggestion is to get into the kitchen and make a go of it… with the bubbles of course.
After all, if you’re choosing to snack well, there must be some form of a balance…right?
Have a wonderful Christmas, and an even better New Year.
Dance on the table tops, share some laughs and most importantly enjoy your very own raw truffle goodness.