First it took the US by storm, now Canada’s West Coast Vancouver pride, Lululemon Athletica, is a craze sweeping the UK and the company opened its first store, a 3100 square foot yoga emporium in Covent Garden, on 28 March 2014.
Loved by US celebrities, it counts Rosie Huntington Whiteley, Cameron Diaz and Kim Kardashian as fans; this yoga-inspired athletic apparel brand is on a mission to give British fitness fanatics a high fashion makeover.
[image: © 2014 lululemon athletica]
Lululemon Athletica says it makes technical athletic clothes for yoga, running, working out, and most other sweaty pursuits. However it is increasingly seen as a high-fashion-inspired line that women will want to wear for fitness and for fashion.
Sports luxe is another fashion favourite that does the rounds and in an age where going to the gym is akin to strutting down the catwalk, it’s once again one of the big looks for spring 2014. It’s not hard to see why. With its colours, cuts and quirky combinations, sports-inspired clothing is chic and comfortable – a combination that surely can’t be beaten.
So what does sports luxe actually mean? It does not mean wearing a tracksuit and running shoes on a daily basis! It’s a casual look, hence the word sports, with a relaxed silhouette that is ever so chic at the same time, hence the term luxe. Comfortable and minimalist is the key here.
Here are some tips on how to wear it [without looking like a teenager] and what to look out for…..
- Keep it simple. Look for pieces that are form fitting and sleek, or structured, as opposed to slouchy. A subtle sporty stripe can give a dress a stylish edge whilst remaining tailored and chic.
- Sports elements such as athletic shoulder straps, exposed zips, utility buckles, mesh inlays and keyhole halters, mixed with edgy prints or sophisticated tailoring (tone down the details, or go bold and bright for contrast).
- Look out for luxurious fabrics such as leather, silk, sheer and jersey, in sporty cuts.
- Hoods, racer backs as cutaway details on jackets or dresses, outside utility or front bucket pockets.
- Focus on one sporty item in your outfit and tailor the rest, for example, a bomber jacket over a fitted dress, or a slouchy slogan sweater over a pencil skirt and block heels.
- Fencing and tennis-inspired tunic dresses and drop-waist hems.
So in honor of Lululemon’s contribution to fashion trends, and with Wimbledon just around the corner and World Cup fever slowly heating up, we invite you to jump on the sports luxe bandwagon and shop our pick of chic sports-inspired pieces.