You’ve heard it all before…. Back to black, black is the new black, it’s comes in any colour, as long as it’s black! But, thanks to Coco Chanel, it’s hard to disagree that nothing says wardrobe classic like a little black dress (LBD), and this season it’s back with a bang.
As chic as it is wearable, the humble LBD has served us well, and worked harder than most pieces in our party wardrobe. Cool, versatile and timeless, there are plenty of options to choose from and lots of ways you can change up the look.
First, make sure you have selected the right dress for the right occasion. If the dress is daywear avoid anything that clings to the body, instead opt for styles that skim your curves (i.e. shift dresses that fall just below the knee). For evening events the dress can be longer and more elegant but it should still remain structured and well shaped.
Consider the following when accessorising your LBD:
- Hosiery. The right tights can even out your skin tone on your legs and provide the finishing touch to the look. For eveningwear, sheer black, grey tinted tights or even sparkle tights, are a good choice. Coloured tights could also work with a black dress provided the colour matches with other accessories and suits your skin tone.
- Shoes. ‘Tis (almost) the season to sparkle…. if you’re looking to add just a touch of sparkle, try matching metallic heels with your LBD. Shoes can also provide contrasting colour or style and as a result become the feature piece of your outfit.
- Dazzle in diamanté. Statement costume jewellery is such a strong trend for Autumn Winter that [paired with simple necklines] earrings and necklaces can really stand out.
- Bags. The bag is going to stand out against the black backdrop so treat it as part of the overall look. Try a dazzling or sparkling colour to dress it up for the evening.
However you choose to wear it, dazzle the room in my favourite midnight shade… (all dresses Phase Eight).
Not sure black is your thing….
- The decade of disco is also sure to influence our party wear wardrobes this season. Look for velvet, ruffles, metallic pleats and sequined pieces, all set to guarantee your shining moment on the dance floor.
- Luxurious and sophisticated, teal adds subtle elegance to a satin dress; simply add fur and accessories for a touch of vintage glamour.